Skip to main content

&TIME - Discography (2017 - 2018)

 
Artist: ANDTIME / 2017 / &TIME / Next Year's Snow
Album: (entire discography)
Location: Earth
Genres: Experimental Electronic, Vaporwave, Sound Collage, Noise
Year Released: 2017 - 2018
Date Refound / Posted: 2023-08-11
Format(s) Released: Bandcamp

Explanation: &TIME / ANDTIME / 2017 was a 'vaporwave' label and collective artists from all around the world. I use vaporwave in the loosest possible terms. That might have been what it started as but it quickly devolved into outright weird electronic albums, strange releases and a meme/joke EPs that I can't quite compare to any other groups. The only person who knew the true identities was Octavia Sheffner, the mastermind behind the group.
They really were in a league of their own. I've heard a bunch of their releases and they were always very weird. Micheal545onYouTube's releases were recordings of some child talking about his fanfiction while soothing ambient played. မိန်းမတပိုင်းငါးတပိုင်းအံသွား was vaporwave but sounded really deadpan. 

I remember 7's album being a really relaxing drone album that perfectly matched its cover. There were very little 'conventional' releases. Echo's C-Sides was one such record that was a bunch of eccojams. Nearly all the artists involved were anonymous, often taking aliases for one-off releases.
After ANDTIME went down (further explained below) they reformed as Next Year's Snow. NYS's work is much more conventional, and their releases are way more structured. Another group, formed by some of the original members was 7Form. In a way 7Form continues the tradition of strange releases, weird artist names, lots of drone, jokes and such. I haven't dug deep into 7Form but what I've seen fits perfectly into the canon.

Reasons for Disappearance: Based on the way the ANDTIME clique operated, everyone had access to the Bandcamp. In a combination of someone going rogue and deleting it, Bandcamp themselves took the whole page down. This was the principal reason the group went down and reformed as NYS. It's also a good reason as to why NYS' releases are more structured (though again, 7Form is a good successor for that random stuff).

Dream Demos's Drone 1 / Casio is probably my favourite release from the group. It's this small ambient EP that fits with its cover. Listening to its nice tones I imagine it the soundtrack of a swamp during daytime, long off some highway.

I wasn't really looking for a lot of the releases though now that I have the discography in my hands, I think it's time to do another dive. There are a few releases I want to listen to. Mainly Paul Hayes - DJ 80mg + ELECTROLYTEs (2003 MEGAMIX part 1 /icy hip hop/ club/ crunk NEW MUSIC® DJ) (2017), hantasi - ha nt as i (2107), and এটা দুঃখের -  the age of technology. Those look interesting.

For some reason even though the page was taken down if you had purchased them, you could still see them on the Bandcamp app. No downloads but you could stream them. I had actually purchased all of their albums before the deletion but never found the time to actually rip and catalogue it. Fortunately someone else did and compiled those into archives below.

This discography was found by a combination of Bruhmask and No Recess. Both have been uploaded to archive.org and also have stuff the other doesn't.

Download (No Recess): https://archive.org/details/andtime
Download (Bruhmask): https://archive.org/details/Andtimearchive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chad Warden - Fructose (2014)

Artist: Chad Warden Album: Fructose Location: Austin, Texas Genres: Instrumental Hip Hop, Cloud Rap Year Released: 2014-11-01 Date Re-Found / Posted: 2023-09-08 Format(s) Released: Bandcamp Explanation: I'm not sure how I should start this. This isn't an easy post for me to write. I'll start off with how I know the artist. Chad Warden, more commonly known as Reverend JKN was a rapper and producer based out of Austin, Texas. I had first heard of him back in 2015 when he dropped Fringe. I saw it mentioned in a Reddit comment, checked it out and liked it. Didn't really much follow JKN after that. I added all his stuff to RYM of course, but never checked it out further. I like his rap stuff and aside from Fringe he didn't make any. He sort of slipped through the cracks in my radar. My second time listening to him was in 2020 when I was going through old artists I had added. Remembered he had his instrumental Chad Warden project and decided then would be a good time to l...

Knowself - Mind Controlled, Automaton Conformist, Ego Enslaved, Manipulated Materialistic Robot, Indoctrinated Pawn Fool World (2010)

Knowself is a Canadian emcee known for his extremely political and occasionally conspiratorial bars. He has a speedy and incredibly dense flow leading to his bars sounding like water shooting out of a fire hydrant, the listener trying to graps everything firing out.  Lyrics revolve around blunt political statements and incredibly ironic and occasional humourous lyrics. This can even be found in the track title with two songs being called 'Cyber Sludge, Mechanized Slaves, Social Engineering, Weather Modification and High Frequency' and 'Critical Like Alfred Korzybski' and another song called 'Cee!!!!!!! Takes a Long and Painful Crap'. This album in particular has some of Knowself's fasted rhymes. This album was previously distributed via CDBaby and became lost media when CDBaby shut its service down. Knowself has not been active since the mid-2010s so any chance of re-issuing this is slim to none. This was recorded back in 1999 but never saw release until 201...

Vito Genovese - The Island (2010)

  Artist: Vito Genovese Album: The Island Location: Port Richey, United States Genres (Primary, Seconday, Influence): Slowcore, Post-Rock, Hypnagogic Pop, Blogspot Scene Year Released: 2010 Date Refound / Posted: 2023-05-28 Format(s) Released: Mp3-via-RYM Explanation: Vito Genovese is a legendary electronic artist. With a cavalcade of albums across different aliases, the founder one of the largest vaporwave labels in history (DMT Tapes FL with over 1K releases out) to becoming one of the most accomplished and in my opinion one of the greatest vaporwave artists of all time. Before he had an epiphany and entered the vaporwave movement he was an electronic musician who blended slowcore, hypnagogic pop, the blogspot scene and more into these emotive and depressive releases. From about 2008 to 2012 he relased a bucnh of these records. The Island is one of them. It was a fusion of different styles with some tracks featuring Vito playing guitar and singing with reverb and stuff, some indi...