Skip to main content

DreamWorks - Labyrinth (2019)

 
Artist: DreamWorks
Album: Labyrinth
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Genres: Dungeon Synth, Dark Ambient, Hauntology
Year Released: 2019-06-10
Format(s) Released: Bandcamp

Explanation:

Oh boy. I am very excited to be making this post. Not only this was this a lost album, but this was one of my 'grails', also being on my "Missing List". Now that I have it in my hands it's every bit as good as I remember it.

I have been looking for this record for years, contacted DreamWorks on both of his accounts, reached out to people who knew him and tried trackers for years with no results. I never got any closer to hearing it. I obtained his Celesteville album but while a nice Vaporwave release it wasn’t what I want.

Although I can't remember exactly how I heard of this record I believe it was through Reddit. DreamWorks used to post there a few times and if I recall correctly he posted this record to /r/vaporwave, noting it a Dungeon Synth-take on the genre. He may not have posted it there and I may have gotten it by following him on Bandcamp but idk.

Back then I listened to it once and noted it sounded like a very cartoony Dungeon Synth album, unique amongst other DS albums and that it was pretty good. I never listened to it past that and when I felt like giving it another spin it was gone.

Harkening back to an older post, while Kluisenaar's album was too Vaporwave, this wasn't vaporwave at all. It's just dungeon synth. Really good Dungeon Synth mind you but not Vapor at all.

While most Dungeon Synth albums have an ominous, foreboding tone, Labyrinth retains amore cartoon-ish, almost goofy sound to it. I don't mean like Middle Ages: Reclaiming the Throne sounds like a fantasy game but something more amateurish and DIY. To put it simply this album could be the soundtrack for a mid-2000s Horror flash game on Newgrounds with simple drawn monsters with no shading and poorly aged jump scares. I love it.

It keeps itself serious using these sounds unironically, uses extensive MIDI and often strange sounds that manage to keep up a foreboding and ominous atmosphere.

Like 'Your Worst Fears' starts off with this spooky piano that comes in an out with screeching strings to help make the mood lonelier. Then it comes with the rest of the instruments and drums shuffling that sounds like someone creeping along.

No Turning Back is another cool track. I don't know if those are steel drums or not, but I've never heard that instrument used in Dungeon Synth before. It fits perfectly and even though it sounds bright and happy, DreamWorks weaves into a dark sound making it fit within buzzing drones.
Thinking on it, this album almost veers into Library Music and Hauntology with the way it approaches its concepts.

With how Vaporwave evokes nostalgia this album does too in a strange. I don't know if that's what DreamWorks was intending but damn if he didn't pull it off.

Reasons for Disappearance:
I have absolutely no idea where DreamWorks went. This album released in June of 2019 and vanished around November of 2019. When it vanished DreamWorks disappeared too. He has too Bandcamp pages still active but nothing on them. One states he has new music on the way, though it has said that for years.

I don't know where DreamWorks is, but he can seriously make music. I don't know what made him stop or if he's even still alive but if you are out there, you got talent man. Come back.

This release was recovered by a combo of users from RYM who helped me put it together from loose tracks and re-tagging. Shouts to Bruhmask, Bulma and Lainscore.

The download below also includes his Celesteville album. It's a Babar-themed vaporwave album.

Download: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvM014Z0FRZ1ojQVRoTzRKRVVPNmYwaHBRRkc1Z1lBRHJQN0todVRoMEQxeC1MR284d3ZkMA==
Password: dungeonsynth

Oh also, Tunes of Illusion if you are reading this go fuck yourself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chad Warden - Fructose (2014)

Artist: Chad Warden Album: Fructose Location: Austin, Texas Genres: Instrumental Hip Hop, Cloud Rap Year Released: 2014-11-01 Date Re-Found / Posted: 2023-09-08 Format(s) Released: Bandcamp Explanation: I'm not sure how I should start this. This isn't an easy post for me to write. I'll start off with how I know the artist. Chad Warden, more commonly known as Reverend JKN was a rapper and producer based out of Austin, Texas. I had first heard of him back in 2015 when he dropped Fringe. I saw it mentioned in a Reddit comment, checked it out and liked it. Didn't really much follow JKN after that. I added all his stuff to RYM of course, but never checked it out further. I like his rap stuff and aside from Fringe he didn't make any. He sort of slipped through the cracks in my radar. My second time listening to him was in 2020 when I was going through old artists I had added. Remembered he had his instrumental Chad Warden project and decided then would be a good time to l...

Knowself - Mind Controlled, Automaton Conformist, Ego Enslaved, Manipulated Materialistic Robot, Indoctrinated Pawn Fool World (2010)

Knowself is a Canadian emcee known for his extremely political and occasionally conspiratorial bars. He has a speedy and incredibly dense flow leading to his bars sounding like water shooting out of a fire hydrant, the listener trying to graps everything firing out.  Lyrics revolve around blunt political statements and incredibly ironic and occasional humourous lyrics. This can even be found in the track title with two songs being called 'Cyber Sludge, Mechanized Slaves, Social Engineering, Weather Modification and High Frequency' and 'Critical Like Alfred Korzybski' and another song called 'Cee!!!!!!! Takes a Long and Painful Crap'. This album in particular has some of Knowself's fasted rhymes. This album was previously distributed via CDBaby and became lost media when CDBaby shut its service down. Knowself has not been active since the mid-2010s so any chance of re-issuing this is slim to none. This was recorded back in 1999 but never saw release until 201...

Vito Genovese - The Island (2010)

  Artist: Vito Genovese Album: The Island Location: Port Richey, United States Genres (Primary, Seconday, Influence): Slowcore, Post-Rock, Hypnagogic Pop, Blogspot Scene Year Released: 2010 Date Refound / Posted: 2023-05-28 Format(s) Released: Mp3-via-RYM Explanation: Vito Genovese is a legendary electronic artist. With a cavalcade of albums across different aliases, the founder one of the largest vaporwave labels in history (DMT Tapes FL with over 1K releases out) to becoming one of the most accomplished and in my opinion one of the greatest vaporwave artists of all time. Before he had an epiphany and entered the vaporwave movement he was an electronic musician who blended slowcore, hypnagogic pop, the blogspot scene and more into these emotive and depressive releases. From about 2008 to 2012 he relased a bucnh of these records. The Island is one of them. It was a fusion of different styles with some tracks featuring Vito playing guitar and singing with reverb and stuff, some indi...