Skip to main content

Sleepwalkers Local 242 - Dreamlands (2007)

 


Artist: Sleepwalkers Local 242
Album: Dreamlands
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Genres: Blogspot Scene, Ambient, Drone
Year Released: 2007-xx-xx
Format(s) Released: CDr

Explanation:

This is Dreamlands, the debut album from Los Angeles-based musician Sleepwalkers Local 242 (aka Grant E. Capes).

I've listened to a few of Sleepwalkers releases though none have really stood out to me. When I first heard of this guy I wasn't that familiar to the whole Blogspot Scene but seeing such weird covers and titles got me interested.

I first heard of Sleepwalkers while looking for a completely different artist, Sleepwalkers [New Mexico rap group consisting of Enoch and Nogoe]. Saw 'Sleepwalkers Local 242' come up and found the name really cool.

This release is one of Sleepwalkers more abrasive releases (compared to the chill ambient he made later). It doesn't veer into noise territory, but the release is drowned in dissonance. The first few tracks leverage guitar distortion and builds up these crescendos that almost sound like moaning. It almost sounds improvisational in a way.

The album consists of long droning soundscapes, cold in feeling and mechanical. Nothing dreamy about this it feels more like a fever-dream where nothing quite makes sense. It goes on a bit long, and my ears rung after it, but it wasn't particularly bad.

One particular track, Insect Metal Hive Slaughter has this obnoxious loop meant to sound like insects. It drones on and on, though gets better by the midway point when a harmonica(?) comes into add some much-needed calm to the track. It is by far the worst track on this.

Horrorshow (Remix) is the standout track here. I don't know what it's a remix of but I'm curious to hear the original Horrorshow. It's this 27-minute track that's nothing but a continuously evolving chiptune drone that goes on for a few movements, pauses and switches up its style. I'm not sure the genre other than drone but damn it sounds like what I imagine to be 'industrial chiptune'. It's lobit and covered in reverb, allowing for the individual signals to linger on just as they fade out. It's glitchy, distorted and barely functioning and hits the peak of the album.

If this release were just Horrorshow with one or two other tracks I would probably like it a bit more.

Reasons for Disappearance:

Like all Blogspot Scene releases this dropped via mail-order only and likely never in record stores firsthand. Sleepwalkers has a Bandcamp though has never re-issued this album. No idea why. He really should (even if it's just Horrorshow (Remix) + some extras). I finally found it after much searching on trackers. I had the option to purchase this on Discogs at one point but missed my shot.

Download: aHR0cHM6Ly9tZWdhLm56L2ZpbGUvN0JKUTFUZ0ojdmNmeUtleWtkRWptcTYtblFmTzNRVkpJalNDUmNHYzJSdTRPRTMtWE5GTQ==
Password: horrorshow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chad Warden - Fructose (2014)

Artist: Chad Warden Album: Fructose Location: Austin, Texas Genres: Instrumental Hip Hop, Cloud Rap Year Released: 2014-11-01 Date Re-Found / Posted: 2023-09-08 Format(s) Released: Bandcamp Explanation: I'm not sure how I should start this. This isn't an easy post for me to write. I'll start off with how I know the artist. Chad Warden, more commonly known as Reverend JKN was a rapper and producer based out of Austin, Texas. I had first heard of him back in 2015 when he dropped Fringe. I saw it mentioned in a Reddit comment, checked it out and liked it. Didn't really much follow JKN after that. I added all his stuff to RYM of course, but never checked it out further. I like his rap stuff and aside from Fringe he didn't make any. He sort of slipped through the cracks in my radar. My second time listening to him was in 2020 when I was going through old artists I had added. Remembered he had his instrumental Chad Warden project and decided then would be a good time to l...

Knowself - Mind Controlled, Automaton Conformist, Ego Enslaved, Manipulated Materialistic Robot, Indoctrinated Pawn Fool World (2010)

Knowself is a Canadian emcee known for his extremely political and occasionally conspiratorial bars. He has a speedy and incredibly dense flow leading to his bars sounding like water shooting out of a fire hydrant, the listener trying to graps everything firing out.  Lyrics revolve around blunt political statements and incredibly ironic and occasional humourous lyrics. This can even be found in the track title with two songs being called 'Cyber Sludge, Mechanized Slaves, Social Engineering, Weather Modification and High Frequency' and 'Critical Like Alfred Korzybski' and another song called 'Cee!!!!!!! Takes a Long and Painful Crap'. This album in particular has some of Knowself's fasted rhymes. This album was previously distributed via CDBaby and became lost media when CDBaby shut its service down. Knowself has not been active since the mid-2010s so any chance of re-issuing this is slim to none. This was recorded back in 1999 but never saw release until 201...

Vito Genovese - The Island (2010)

  Artist: Vito Genovese Album: The Island Location: Port Richey, United States Genres (Primary, Seconday, Influence): Slowcore, Post-Rock, Hypnagogic Pop, Blogspot Scene Year Released: 2010 Date Refound / Posted: 2023-05-28 Format(s) Released: Mp3-via-RYM Explanation: Vito Genovese is a legendary electronic artist. With a cavalcade of albums across different aliases, the founder one of the largest vaporwave labels in history (DMT Tapes FL with over 1K releases out) to becoming one of the most accomplished and in my opinion one of the greatest vaporwave artists of all time. Before he had an epiphany and entered the vaporwave movement he was an electronic musician who blended slowcore, hypnagogic pop, the blogspot scene and more into these emotive and depressive releases. From about 2008 to 2012 he relased a bucnh of these records. The Island is one of them. It was a fusion of different styles with some tracks featuring Vito playing guitar and singing with reverb and stuff, some indi...